Thursday, November 6, 2008

Angry Hawks and Need for Human Contact

So I'm going to actually make a good long post soon but I have been a little out of it. I actually came home for the past 2 days to recharge and I got to see Sarah and also Meghan who is now in Florida (jerk!). Anyway, I have but 3 complaints so far about this internship which is otherwise very cool: 1. Unending tiredness (which I assume will go away when I am in better shape) 2. Really horrifically dry skin on my hands from constant hand-washing and 3. Too little human contact resulting in more conversations with animals than I am comfortable with (don't worry, only the duck actually talks back). Anyway, if any of you are bored feel free to write me a letter or something so I remember that there is a world out there that is not filled with ill animals :( Otherwise though it has been really cool and I will give you a quick intro on how to force-feed a hawk...clearly a job skill you may need:

1. Open cage door and remove food and water bowls so they don't go flying all over the place in the mayhem
2. Get a nice heavy duty towel and maybe gloves (if you are a wimp)
3. Climb in dog carrier cage with angry hawk*
4. Throw towel over hawk and hope for the best
5. Locate the back and wings of hawk while avoiding the talons and beak which are also under there hiding somewhere
6. Get situated so that you are holding all pointy parts of the animal away from you
7. Pull angry, swaddled hawk out of carrier and basically sit on him
8. Find his head and unwrap it keeping talons wrapped up
9. Open beak (carefully and stick 2 fingers in it to keep it open while with the other hand grabbing a delicious dead mouse
10. Shove dead mouse down the RIGHT side of the throat and then push it down into the crop with the hand not dedicated to holding the beak open

Congratulations, you now know how to force-feed an angry hawk

* This is the step I actually had the most trouble with

Anyway, that's all for now!

2 comments:

Emily said...

YOUR right or the hawk's right? Because I clearly may need to do this one day.

And also, it would help to send you a letter if you perhaps gave us your address? If you think random readers will come stalk your woods at night if you do that you could always post it in a code that only I and others of your dear friends will understand. Like you could post it in 1st grade Cori speak.

Finally, call me! I don't care if your tired give me a call before you pass out because I had my meeting and want to babble to a fellow animal nerd. This is the longest comment ever. Goodbye.

Stephanie/Sproffee said...

I agree with Emily. My right or his?

Also, I have a slightly different problem in Shanghai. Too many people but not enough REAL human contact. I need a hug bad. *sigh*

And I think I would freak out about crawling into a small space with a wild hawk too!