Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Lesbian Owls and A Grackle in Love

If that headline doesn't grab your attention, I don't know what will...So as for the owls, they are currently in egg laying season, making them VERY grumpy when you enter their cage. Unfortunately for Woodsy and Bubo (the 2 resident owls)...they are both female, and those their eggs tend to...well, not hatch into anything. None-the-less they still feel the need to try and kill all those who dare enter their cage. Buuut after a few weeks they get bored and start playing hockey with the eggs and the end up smashed :( Well, I suppose they could always adopt.

Also here is a video of my favorite visually challenged grackle. I think he may think we are a couple. He does a little dance when I come around and he keeps trying to give me presents..like pieces of the shavings...Emily, help me out here bird lady, do grackles give nuptial gifts?




Adorable.

More animal pictures soon!

3 comments:

Megg13 said...

um...hi...i miss you.

Emily said...

I found this on the web:

Did You Know?

The Common Grackle's courtship dance is a series of jerky movements. With its head, tail, and wings lowered, it squeals. It's not a melodious sound, but certainly loud enough to get a female's attention!

I couldn't find anything about nuptial gifts exactly, but maybe he thinks you're building a nest and is trying to help you out? Be worried if he starts offering you worms (although when the tiny pheasants at the zoo feed each other it is the CUTEST THING ever).

I think I'm going to start a blog about all my zoo adventures. What do you think? I need a cool name.

Unknown said...

Cori and the grackle, sittin in a tree...

No but really, that's freakin adorable.

Also, I second Meghan's senitment. And ALSO your "Chocolate Bar" is hilarious. Thank you Facebook for making stalking easier, nay, impossible to avoid.