Sunday, April 5, 2009

The Trouble with Gooses

Hello everyone, today was 62 degrees and it was officially too hot for me...but the animals are enjoying it. I can finally open my skylight too which is night because currently I can hear spring peepers outside....and raccoons fighting (mating?). Last week I went to Drew Thursday to speak at the grad school panel which was fun, and after Emily and I went out for drinks with Fox and Windfelder (our two favorite Drew professors) and the other graduate student Drew alum. We also got to see Windfelder's baby Maggie earlier in the day and she is still the most adorable baby I think I have ever seen :) EW I just officially found the first tick of the season on my arm! Anyway, here are some more animal photos:

Wild Turkey at dawn
Can you find 3 turkeys?*
Our lovely volunteer Marissa and Henry (I hope it's ok to post this Marisa!)
Delicious
*just kidding there are only 2 turkeys

Oh and also to make the title make sense I have a brief story; We had two geese come in from a woman who takes our geese that were having some motor skill problems. One stayed with us and the other (a domestic goose which we had no room for) went to the vet office that we work with a lot. Anyway, to make a long story short the geese got better and the domestic one was dropped off to us after being at the vet for a week or so. The first morning we had him I put him in a bucket to bathe. The bucket happened to be next to the other goose's cage. Goose number 1 went...."honk?" uppon seeing goose number 2 in the bucket. Goose number 2 went "HONK?!" uppon seeing Goos Number 1. Then they honked joyously at each other for a good 5 minutes. It was adorable. I had no idea geese would recognize each other like that. Here is Goose 2:



and a video of goose 1 in the bucket from a few days before:



I am aware the bucket is pathetically small for them, but it is generally used for the ducks aaand they are now back to their home with our goose and pigeon woman with a pond and a lot of land so they only had a few days of bucket bathing. That's all for now!

6 comments:

Emily said...

I want the minute of my life I spent looking for the third turkey back.

Cori said...

lol no refunds

Mary Beth Brauer said...

Please tell me you know it's GEESE not Gooses. (MOM and the spelling police)...

Cori said...

OH MY GOD YES, MOM. I was being IRONICAL :)

Megg13 said...

p.s. i totally was looking for three and was going to yell at you about it...poopface

MISS YOU!

Ellsee said...

I love all baby animals. But the bunnies are soooo adorable! I think the names: Flopsy-Mopsy-Cottontail-and Peter are great names for bunnies. I also like the name "Thumper" (from the movie Bambi).
Seeing it's breeding season for rabbits, you'll soon run out of names.
Charlie, is another favorite.
Last spring, a mother fox and her baby were walking through our back yard. I ran to get my camera... but, they were gone by the time I returned to the yard.
The mother fox was gorgeous! She was "red" with a touch of beige and black. I was surprised to see her tail was almost the same length as her body.
I'm hopeful she will return this spring with a new baby.
Anyone who loves animals as much as you do... is a very special person with a good heart.
I love your blog!
Aunt Linda